Date:      Sun, 30 Mar 1997 22:12:28 -0700 (MST)
From:      Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>
To:        Paul Southworth <pauls@locust.etext.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Crashes with 6x86L-P200+

On Sun, 30 Mar 1997, Paul Southworth wrote:

> Yes, another annoying Cyrix owner.  I won't ask you why it's not
> recognized as a Pentium because I don't care.  I bought a 6x86L-P200+ and

:)  It doesn't really matter right now, although I believe someone just
committed new CPU detection routines to -current the other day which will
now detect the 6x86 as a 6x86.

> a Mustang R534E motherboard with SIS 5571 chipset (yes, it really supports
> the 6x86-P200).
>
> The machine runs fine for an hour or two and then crashes regularly.  No
> obviously replicable action appears to be crashing it, other than that it
> generally crashes as soon as any significant load is incurred (eg, running
> glimpseindex, running a dump to tape, compiling libc). The same machine is
> currently running an Intel P5-133 with no problems (same everything, no
> changes other than motherboard jumper settings for the P5-133).

Sounds like the usual problem with those CPUs... Heat.  You need to keep
them cool, because they generate a *LOT* of heat.  I have a *good* (ie. PC
Power and Cooling) fan on my 6x86-166 plus another 4" fan pointed at the
cpu and regulator heatsink on the M/B.  When I say you have to keep them

I've started using even beefier heatsink/fan combos now, which keeps them
even cooler, although for a UNIX machine I'd recommend an extra fan.  Try
sticking your finger on the processor heatsink while compiling a kernel or
something.  (The regulator probably has a BARELY adequate heatsink for
the -200 chip...  It sucks a LOT of current, which might make the extra
fan a really good idea.)

Let me know if you are still having problems.  The Cyrix chips seem to
work just great as long as you can keep them cool.

Later......						<Doug>