Date:      Mon, 26 Dec 2005 16:40:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        zxpmyth@yahoo.com.cn (heromyth)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to dual boot

> Marty Landman 写道:
> > I'm trying to get a dual boot system set up with FBSD 5.3 and Win XP sp1.
> > First I installed FBSD using 15GB of the HD, then installed XP on the
> > remaining 5GB. However now it boots up XP automatically. I can get back to
> > the FBSD installer by booting from the 5.3 CD but what do I do to provide a
> > choice of which to boot right on the HD?

Since you failed to follow instructions and loaded MS after other
things, it wiped out your FreeBSD MBR.    MS is unfriendly that way.

The MS MBR is also either too stupid or too selfish to boot any other
system.

Just put the FreeBSD install CD back in and install the FreeBSD MBR.
It will give you a choice as to which to boot.   It works just fine.
It's only quirk is that, if the MS slice is an NTFS type of filesystem
it will identify it as ??? in the menu rather than MS-DOS as it identifies
the FAT type file systems.   But, just don't worry about that.  It works.

If you just have to have a more pretty identifying label, you can
install something like Grub or one of the other expanded booters.

////jerry