Date:      Sat, 9 Jan 1999 18:04:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Howard Lew <digital@www2.shoppersnet.com>
To:        Duane Gustavus <duane@denton.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxtv

On Sat, 9 Jan 1999, Duane Gustavus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Following the suggestion at the end of the README included with fxtv, I am
> reporting some problems in hopes someone can give me ideas where to look.
>
> OS = FreeBSD-3.0.0 installed from CD
> XF86332 with XF86_S3 server
> Pentium 66mhz processor
> 48 meg RAM
> Diamon Stealth 64 Video VRAM PCI
> fxtv ver 0.47 installed from ports tree
> mpeg_enocde installed from ports tree
> Hauppage WinTV model 404
>
> Symptoms:
>
> 1) It appears fxtv is working fine when I run it with no options.  The tv
> window appears and displays video (I am using a video camera with the
> Input menu set to video).  When I click on the camera icon, the image
> stops (which I assume is freeze).  When I click on File->Save Image a
> dialog box pops up that says "No frozen image to save."  The same thing
> happens with Save Image As.  In other words, I cannot find a way to
> save an image.
>
> 2) To try to save a video stream, I select File->Save Video As ... and
> the FXTV Save Video Control dialog pops up (the tv window goes black). I
> enter "take" for a file name base, target MPEG, leave size 320x240, leave
> format RGB (16bpp 565), leave Speed 30, and Image Encode PPM.  I disable
> Audio Capture since I have no sound card.  I click on Record, the tv
> window stays black, a few seconds later I click on stop.  A dialog pops
> up with a message about converting the images, and it is replaced by a
> dialog that says Video conversion failed, CMD = take.sh, status = 0x0100.
> Left behind is an mpeg_encode.core file, a zero length take.AVraw file, a
> zero length take.mpg file, take.param and take.sh files that appear to be
> correct (ie useful data in them).  I assume the mpeg_encode core dump is
> due to the zero length of the take.AVraw file.  The entire time the Save
> Video Control dialog is up, the tv window is black.  When I dismiss the
> dialog, the tv window becomes active again.
>
> 3) I am using WindowMaker 0.50 as a window manager.  When I click on the
> Resize button (or use Btn3Down), the tv window becomes larger and appears
> to be working fine.  When I click on Resize again, the entire screen goes
> blank with only the mouse indicator showing.  The mouse is live and the
> indicator changes as I move it around the screen (ie into text mode when
> it passes over an xterm window).  If I move it to the very bottom of the
> screen in either the right or left corner (not in the middle however),
> everything will reappear with the tv window back in the smaller size.  I
> can do this repeatedly with the same behavior.
>
> 4)  Btn1Down (or z or Return etc) in the tv window will turn the entire
> screen blank and freeze the mouse indicator. Clicking again will leave the
> screen blank but display the mouse indicator again, which will redisplay the
> screen by using the method mentioned in symptom three.

> [...]

For #5, I have an AIMS Lab VideoHighway Xtreme98 card and the tuner also
does not work with fxtv -- one can not change the station.  But I think
the cause is the bktr0 driver because the boot message indicates that it
did not find a tuner.

I know the manufacturer has a link on their page to someone who made a
patch for Linux though...

http://www.aimslab.com/download/f_download%20home%20page.htm

The boot probe shows:
bktr0 <BrookTree 848> rev 18 int a irq 12 on pci0:10:0
Intel Smart Video III, <none> tuner.