Date:      Fri, 13 Dec 1996 01:41:15 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Follow-up to FreeBSD documentation team status report.

OK, I'm back..

John's intervening reply makes some of what I was going to cover
redundant, so I'll skip it, but we've still got a bunch of brute-force
logistical issues to deal with here, so why don't we get started on
that?

First off, the doc team's mailing addresses.  These are what I have
for you, and anyone desiring a change here should let me know ASAP
before the information becomes enshrined in the handbook and mailing
lists.  We can always change it, of course, but why make the job
harder at the start?  Also, if you're wanting to manage this through
freefall and were hoping for a FreeBSD.ORG mailing address instead,
please indicate as such and I'll change your entry pending account
creation (also, those members who already *do* have accounts on
freefall were omitted from this list as it's already assumed they'll
be contact-able there):

	Ade Barkah <mbarkah@hemi.com>
	Charles A. Wimmer <cawimm0@service1.uky.edu>
	Chris Watson <opsys@orion.webspan.net>
	Dave Cornejo <dave@dogwood.com>
	John Cavanaugh <john@bang.rain.com>
	Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
	Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>
	Nate Johnson <nate@ncsu.edu>
	Ricardo AG <ricardag@ag.com.br>
	Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Lamb.net>

Again, these addresses will be listed in the handbook once I finish
the documentation project's contributor section, so contact me soon if
you want yours changed (the whole "who does what" section needs a bit
of a rewrite, with more explanation of what some of the other
positions actually *mean* probably being warranted, and so my changes
to contrib.sgml have become bigger than I thought).

Second, accounts on freefall.  If your position requires an account on
freefall for maintaining the web page data on www.freebsd.org, or if
you're comfortable enough with CVS usage that you think you'd like to
angle for commit privs at some point (for which we request that you
*practice* a bit with cvs on your own machine before you start :),
please contact root@freebsd.org about account creation.  If you have
an existing FreeBSD master.passwd entry you can send us, this is even
better since we can reuse the encrypted password info (either DES or
MD5 is fine) and never send a cleartext password through email.  If
you don't, then just send us your other particulars (desired username,
full name, shell) and we'll send back your *temporary* password along
with the account confirmation.  You'll be expected to log in and
change it ASAP.

Freefall rules of the road:

	o Your account is for you and you alone.  If you encounter someone
	  else who wants to become a contributor and would also eventually
	  like to work on freefall, have him (or her) contact us, don't
	  "double up" under any circumstances.

	o Use ssh to log in if at all possible, especially if you're
	  coming in to initially change your password.  ssh is very
	  easy to set up and a wonderfully charming tool in general -
	  check it out in /usr/ports/security/ssh

	o If you receive email on freefall (AKA freebsd.org), if at all
	  possible you should periodically POP it off or have it forwarded
	  elsewhere for reading.  freefall is not for email and news reading
	  unless you've literally got no other choice, due to obvious load
	  considerations.

--

Finally, just running down the list of volunteers, there are some
initial tasks I'd like to cover for each group which should hopefully

Webmasters Ade & Paul:

I think your biggest task for this upcoming week is going to simply be
review.  John has posted details on the build process, one perhaps a
little complicated in parts by the early state of the tools, and you 2
guys (at least) are going to need to know everything about how it all
fits together.  Perhaps bringing up a mirror site from sources (as
opposed to another W3 site), if you haven't already done so, would be
a good exercise?  Ade also needs an account on freefall, and should
email me as described above.

Build Engineers Paul & Dave:

Basically the same as for the webmasters - figure this arcane system
out and assure yourselves that you can bring up a complete FreeBSD web
site using nothing more than a src tree and a handful of fiebertools
(all of which should eventually become part of that src tree,
naturally :).  Dave, you probably need a freefall account.  See above.

Mirror Managers Ulf & John C.

Your very first order of business is probably:
	ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/www

Which looks like it's not getting built and updated anymore though
people are still FTP mirroring it, which is bad.  I'm not even sure
where it comes from. :-)

Starting to visit all the listed mirror sites periodically, like a
traveling ambassador, would probably also be a good idea. :) It would
also be nice to make sure that everyone's www@www[n][.dom].freebsd.org
email addresses are working, in case we need to report problems.  Some
testing there will probably return less-than-confidence-inspiring
results. :-)

News Editors John C & Nate J:

Just reading through http://www.freebsd.org once will probably
generate enough work to keep you busy for a week.  Neither of you are
probably quite ready for CVS yet, however, so you'll need just 2
things for now:

	1. A copy of the current web pages.  You can either use
	   cvsup or the FTP mirror, once the mirror team gets that
	   working again.

	2. Someone on the committers list who will take the diffs you
	   generate and bring them into the current handbook for now.
	   For now, I think that can be either John Fieber, Paul
	   Richards or myself.

Gallery/Commercial Editors Charles & Ricardo:

You two have a job similar to the news editors: You need to get ahold
of a current copy of gallery.sgml on a regular basis (commercial.sgml
doesn't change that much) and merge your changes in.  Initially,
you'll have John Fieber's backlog of submissions to deal with, and
later you'll simply receive emails whenever someone submits an entry.
In the short term, as John says, the existing backlog must be checked
for duplicates and eventually turned into properly formatted entries
for gallery.sgml, which can then be sent to John, Paul or myself.
People are already complaining that they haven't seen their entries
yet, so you guys don't arrive a moment too soon. :)

Style Police/Art Directors Dave & Chris:

Just wander around the site for awhile, I guess, and start trying to
see just how much it sucks.  Then write that down.  You'll also need
access to freefall and a committer for fronting your changes until
you're ready to go direct (Dave may be ready already, actually).
See my comments to the News Editors in any case.

Handbook/FAQ/Tutorial Editor Peter da Silva:

Heh heh.  Your job is cut out for you, and much of it involves the
liberal use of a machete on the existing FAQ.  In fact, the FAQ should
probably just become a Handbook section.  Either way, much of the
current information is stale and greatly in need of trimming.  We
should also talk about commit privileges fairly quickly since anyone
trying to front this many diffs for you will go insane.

Database Engineers Mark & Martin:

I really hope that you guys will quickly find an alternative to (or a
big bandaid for) the WAIS searching stuff.  There's got to be better
technology for this out there, I just know it. :-)
You probably both needs freefall accounts and write access to the
web pages.

CGI Engineer Martin:

Searching stuff, hyperlinked man pages, ports collection browser, src
tree browser, need I say more? :-)

And finally, to the General Support Guy Nate J:

Just keep your ears open - I'm sure there will be a lot of stuff
falling through the cracks on an almost constant basis. :)

					Jordan