Date:      Mon, 23 May 2005 23:36:36 +0200
From:      "Markus Hoenicka" <markus.hoenicka@mhoenicka.de>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to run Xorg on a 1280x800 display/915GM chipset?

Hi all,

I've got a new and shiny MSI S260 laptop on my desk. The FreeBSD 5.4
base system was installed in no time, but I'm having a hard time to
configure Xorg.

The S260 claims to use an Intel 915GM chipset with integrated graphics
which uses shared memory. The display is a 12" WXGA running at
1280x800.

I've googled a bit and found out that I apparently need the agp
module. I've added 'agp_load="YES"' to my /boot/loader.conf and
verified that the module is actually loaded. One strange thing is that
there is no /dev/agpgart on my system. I've checked with a tower
running FreeBSD 5.3 that does not use the agp module, but this one has
the device anyway - is this a part of my problem? How can I get one
now that MAKEDEV is deprecated?

Next I ran xorgconfig. I've used the generic Intel i810 driver and
specified 64M of memory which sounds reasonable to me. xorgconfig did
not offer me the 1280x800 mode, so I've used some stuff from the
web. The relevant parts are reprinted below, although I don't think
they're important for the problem.

This is the error message that I get after running startx:

(WW) I810: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:2:1)
found
(EE) No devices detected.

BTW I've got similar results without the BusID entry, or with a BusID
entry "PCI:0:2:1", or with two device sections containing both
variants.

The dmesg output shows this about PCI:
pci0: <display, VGA> at device 2.0 (no driver attached)
pci0: <display> at device 2.1 (no driver attached)

Needless to say that the preinstalled WinXP ran fine until I happily
erased it.

Is there a chance to make Xorg work? Any hints would be greatly
aapreciated.

regards,
Markus

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier "glare"
	HorizSync  31.5 - 64.3
	VertRefresh 50-70
	ModeLine "1280x800" 83.5 1280 1344 1480 1680 800 801 804 828
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier "i810"
	Driver "i810"