Date:      Tue, 1 Oct 2002 23:43:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        maxim@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   NIS broken by pw_scan.c commits?

It looks like someone has broken support for NIS in /etc/master.passwd by
tightening the formatting rules for the file incorrectly.  Whereas a
perfectly valid NIS password file used to work a month or so ago, it now
generates a syntax error:

www:*:80:80::0:0:World Wide Web Owner:/nonexistent:/sbin/nologin
nobody:*:65534:65534::0:0:Unprivileged user:/nonexistent:/sbin/nologin
+:::::::::

cboss# pwd_mkdb -p /etc/master.passwd
pwd_mkdb:  uid is incorrect
pwd_mkdb: at line #22
pwd_mkdb: /etc/master.passwd: Inappropriate file type or format

(line 22 is the +::... line)

If whoever did this could please *undo* the change, it would appreciate
it: breaking services like NIS is not a good idea.  I won't have a chance
to investigate more tonight, but I strongly suspect pw_scan.c:1.22 by
Maxim.  It could be another commit; I'll try backing this out tomorrow
morning and see if things start working.  Requiring a valid integer value
is bogus in the case where the field is filled in from NIS.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories