Date:      Sun, 23 Aug 1998 13:30:18 +0930 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc 2.8

On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, Alex wrote:

> > For the record, most of the C++ stuff in the source tree is not compilable
> > with egcs..from memory the other parts which I have to compile with gcc
> > are due to extra compiler warnings which cause compilation to fail (i.e.
> > warnings treated as errors), the lkms (egcs doesnt have -aout) and the
> > biosboot stuff (exceeds maximum length).
>
> This is somewhat bogus.  The libg++ and stdc++ in the source tree will be
> ditched anyways (as they should be), as will lkms.  What do you mean that
> it exceeds maximum length? As for the rest.. I'm sure it's easily fixed.

By this, I mean these parts of the source tree, as supplied in -current,
do not compile with egcs (either due to incompatibilities between the C++
include files, incompatible language semantics, missing compiler features
(-aout) or whatever). If the broken parts are discarded in the future,
then all the better :)

The biosboot code needs to be below a certain length to fit in the
bootblock (or something), and egcs compiling this code produces a result
which exceeds this length. Mike is renovating the bootstrap code at the
moment, so this probably isnt a big problem.

As for easily fixed, I'm sure at least some of it is, but since I don't have
the skills to do it myself I'm not going ot make a big deal out of it :-)

Kris