Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 1995 15:04:11 -0500 (CDT)
From:      peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

> From: peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
> > +> Would you consider it easy to fix if they renumbered all the scripts in
> > +> the rc3.d directory?

> > That's a lot less likely than moving things around in a file, since it's
> > easier to do. It's almost impossible to accidentally renumber files.

> This is pointless. A user with an editor or a command prompt will
> always be able to screw up an automated system. I won't even
> try designing one that cannot be screwed up. No operating system
> out there has anything close to that.

It used to be possible for root to write to directories. A determined
sysadmin no longer has that opportunity to mess the system up. A naive
sysadmin is no longer likely to create orphan files with a misdirected
"cat".

> So arguments based upon the fact that that a determined sysadmin
> can screw up the automation process are unresolvable.

I can't correlate your phrase "a determined sysadmin" with my use of
the word "accidentally". Perhaps you are mistaken in your assumption that
I am speaking of protecting the system from deliberate abuse?