Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2000 11:58:50 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>
Cc:        Trond Endrestol <trond@ramstind.gtf.ol.no>, FreeBSD stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Making sure /var/tmp/vi.recover exists during reboot

Let's try not to cross-post this any more, eh?

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000 11:55:55 +0200, Adrian Penisoara wrote:

>  Then let's get the other way around (change in /etc/rc):

No, you're missing the point.  /var/tmp is expected to survive reboots.
That's its definition according to the hier(7) manual page.  If you
choose to break that functionality, don't expect anyone to make
gratuitous changes to the FreeBSD startup scripts to support your
oddball configuration. :-)

>  And let me notice that the original script assumes existence of this
> directory whereas if I don't run vi I won't get one...

It does so because of the definition of /var/tmp .

>  I use this small hack to get around the ugly error message I get every
> time I boot with MFS mounted /var/tmp -- suited me well until now.

You shouldn't be mounting /var/tmp in MFS, because a memory file system
does not survive a reboot -- that's where you've gone wrong.

Ciao,
Sheldon.