Date:      Mon, 30 Nov 1998 20:57:49 -0800
From:      "Jason Nordwick" <nordwick@citycom.com>
To:        "Jerry" <jerryr@ComCAT.COM>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Frustrated with bsd

>I had some major problems install FreeBSD also and still have some minor
>problem as I move on a discover new things and I'm far from a system
>admin.  The only way I could get FreeBSD installed was to buy the disk set
>along with the manual I think it was like $50. at the store a small price
>to pay for such a good OS.  It was frustrating at but its installed and
>the best thing I've run, stick with it.

Yeah, I know.... hmmm... I really like the system once its installed, but
installation problems are usually enough to color a persons opinion about
the software.

>And your saying FreeBSD isn't in the main stream here's a story for you

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Bay/6986/yahoobsd.htm

I really meant mainstream desktop, sorry for the confusion.  I do know
that Yahoo does use FreeBSD.  I did alot of work at Yahoo, actually.

>Don't come down on the group because you don't understand,

I am not.  I do know a little of what I am doing.  From experiences of
friends and personally,  I can say that installation is not very easy
if you don't already know a decent amount about computers.  Second, I
think that I can say something even though it is my lack of understanding.
There is a page called "easy to install," but when it fails to live up to
the billing, I am allowed to moan a little about it.  Third, it prevents
some complaceny.  If eveybody thought that our installation ruled, then
little or no work would be done on it.

>Its Free!!

You should probably never use that excuse again.  It just perpetuates
the myth of "you get what you pay for" and false ideas of how difficult
Free software is to install.  There are alot of people trying hard to
ruin that idea, and this does not help.

>another good place for info is www.dejanews.com (search the mail archive,
>many people have asked the same questions before).

If that many people have, then it should be in a FAQ.  Shit, maybe I'll just
go thought dejanews and look for all frequently asked questions and add them
to our existing FAQs.

-jay