Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 00:53:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Concurrent package making allowed?

On Sun, 28 Jun 1998, Sue Blake wrote:

> One way, for example, would be to put up a personal web page listing
> those ports which I know to work without X, but I can't see any good way

Ugh!

> Hey, many of those listed under "x11" already appear elsewhere, so what
> about a secondary non-X category for those we know don't need it?

Ugh!

> Looking in every Makefile might seem a pain, but quite tolerable when
> simply looking for a port to do a particular job without X. Consider that

You should look in the Makefile of any port before you compile
it...

However, it shouldn't be necessary to look in the Makefile to
determine if the port requires X.

Currently you should be able to divine it from the CATEGORIES
(yes, I know, many of the ports don't have the right CATEGORIES,
but that's a problem due to the fast growth of the collection and
education is the solution to it).

Actually, I prefer the patch asami posted (with the caveat that I
lost the patch and can't look over it right now to make sure I
still prefer it :).  We should give X as little special
treatement as possible.  Also, if we can stop using x11 as a
virtual category, it will become a little more readable.

[... thinking ...]

There is a bit of a problem in that some port that require on X
do not legitimately depend on X.  I'm thinking particularly of
the various Tcl/Tk scripts.  They shouldn't have a dependency on
X.

A much more flexible method of handling dependencies in general
needs to be designed.  This has been a known failing of the ports
system for quite some time...  :-)

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk