Date:      Fri, 2 Apr 2010 14:08:24 -0700
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org,  freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Results of BIND RFC

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 3:14 AM, Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>wrote:

> [1]: FreeBSD really needs to move away from the "base system" as a
> concept, as I've ranted about in the past.  Or if it cannot, the "base
> system" needs to start using pkg_* (somehow) for use, and src.conf
> WITHOUT_xxx (where xxx = some software) removed.  Concept being: "I
> don't need Kerberos; pkg_delete base-krb5.  I also don't need lib32;
> pkg_delete base-lib32".  Beautiful concept, hard to implement due to
> libraries being yanked out from underneathe binaries that are linked to
> them.  But you get the idea.

Maybe I'm just a lowly sysadmin and ex-port maintainer, but ...

No, no, no, definitely no, no, and no!!

The greatest thing about FreeBSD is that there is a clear separation between
the "base OS" and everything else (ports, local installs, etc).  You get a
nice, clearly defined, base to build on.  You get a stable base that changes
infrequently, that you can add software to on whatever schedule you want.

The worst thing about Linux distros is the lack of this clear separation
between the base and third-party apps.  If you want to install an updated
version of Apache, you either have to update the whole damned distro, go
searching for some unsupported backports repos, or compile everything by
hand defeating the whole point of binary packages.

Making the tools do deal with the base could be interesting, but please,
please, please don't shove everything into the pkg_tools and turning FreeBSD
into "just a random collection of packages that kind of work together".
IOW, don't go down the distro path.

Keep the base OS separate from third-party apps.  Keep the tools to deal
with them separate.
--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com