Date:      Tue, 24 Jun 2003 17:57:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Thomas McIntyre <temac@yahoo.com>
To:        sp0rkmail@brainguts.no-ip.com
Cc:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux vs. Windows

Eli wrote:

> I know I'm a bit late on this one, but maybe they should run
> FreeBSD against Gentoo on the big TechTV Linux vs FreeBSD
> shootout.  I know whenever I try and advocate FreeBSD to my
> Linux friends running Gentoo, they always point to Portage as
> being a ports killer.

> ...And there's pretty much no way in hell someone can get a
> Gentoo system up in less than 30 minutes, even if they start at
> stage 3... >=)

> -Eli

This being advocacy, please forgive my rant.  I recently evaluated
gentoo as a competitor to freebsd's sparc64, and will admit to not
walking away a fan, particularly of Portage.

What's the point of munging in all this automagic USE stuff?  One of
freebsd's stregths the ease to a clean install w/o having to duel the
installer.  Ports are great for a willingness to allow configuring,
messing with makefiles, source -- whatever -- without having to be an
action hero.

Try minimizing Solaris or building your own packages for comparison.
Not friendly.

I also sympathize with question of Gentoo's build times.  First get
the machine running, then tweak it -- an iterative approach is best.
It's hard to understand why a working kernel isn't provided.

Hand configuring a kernel to get off the cdrom seems extreme.  And in
light of the effort invested in Portage to chuck the stick shift, a
little schizophrenic.

Last gripe is for sparc64 only.  If one wants to do all this command
line bootstrapping, do it via working ssh daemon.  Anyone having to
install gentoo sparc via a serial cable better know how to configure
sshd by hand; else, it may be a long build.

Still, one has to appreciate getting Linux based on source.  But your
friends might want to consider dialing back the bragging a tad....

:)

Tom McIntyre