Date:      Fri, 01 Apr 2011 16:07:25 +0400
From:      "Marat N.Afanasyev" <amarat@ksu.ru>
To:        Marko Lerota <mlerota@claresco.hr>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Constant rebooting after power loss

This is a cryptographically signed message in MIME format.

--------------ms020908030707020208080209

Marko Lerota wrote:
> Today one of my home servers lost power two times in a short
> period of time. After that, the system just couldn't get up.
> Background checks couldn't get started. The messages was how
> / /tmp /var etc...had to much errors. And at the end, always
> got this: "automatic reboot will start in 15sec".
>
> I went to single user mode, and ran FSCK manually. That solved
> the problem. But the server was down for 2 hours.
>
> This is not the first time that I had to do this. Every now
> and then I have seen this on BSD servers without UPS.
>
> My question is:
>
> Would it happen if I had ZFS as a file system on all partitions
> including root?
>
> The setup was FreeBSD 8.1, with two disks in raid 1 with gmirror.

I'm afraid that in case of sequential power loss you will be faced with=20
broken filesystems regardless of filesystem you're using. and I suppose=20
that data on your servers costs, at least, ten times more than any UPS=20
that should safely shut down your server in case of black out.

--=20
=F3 =D5=D7=C1=D6=C5=CE=C9=C5=CD, =ED=C1=D2=C1=D4 =E1=C6=C1=CE=C1=D3=D8=C5=
=D7

--------------ms020908030707020208080209--