Date:      Thu, 05 Jun 1997 10:44:57 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Steve Hearn <steveh@cetus.digicon-brs.com.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrade procedures.

Steve Hearn wrote:

> I've got several FreeBSD systems installed over the past year.
> These are running 2.1.6 2.1.7 2.2 2.2.1 respectively.
>
> I'd like to bring them all up to same level.

What level then? 2.2.2? 2.2-STABLE?

> Can anyone suggest the best approach (or point me to some
> reading matter)

Basically, there are two ways for that:

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

1. Using the upgrade option in sysinstall. Despite the warnings, it
works for me just fine. DO BACKUP /etc before you start the upgrade, ans
you *will* need to do a lot of updating there when you're done (be
careful - rc.firewall for one gets overwritten w/o any warning).
Another warning: if you have the sources installed you may want to
delete them first. This is because much of it was moved to new
directories (mainly from gnu to contrib) and the upgrade option in
sysinstall will not delete the old copies if they are now in other
directories, so it will wast something like 50MB (and also leave your
source tree poluted with old sources). Be sure to backup anything
valuable you've put in src (like kernel config files) befor doing that.

2. Use some method (CTM, CVSup) to bring your src tree up to date and
then make a new kernel and world. This has the benefit of less downtime
(if you get it right the first time), but to me it seems to be a more
tedious process than just using sysinstall's update. On the other hand,
if you want to go to -STABLE (and don't want to use the snapshots on
releng22.freebsd.org), this is probably your only way. See the handbook
section on staying stable/current with FreeBSD for details.

> (I've been too scared to try out the upgrade option in
>  sysinstall, given the warnings at the start!)

Then test it out first on a machine that's not realy mission-critical
and that has good backups! For me, at least, it works well enough most
of the time.

> Steve Hearn
> Exploration Geophysics Laboratory
> University of Queensland