Date:      Tue, 8 Dec 1998 06:13:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris McLeod <connor@shell1.interlog.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   How do I remove VoxWare drivers?

Hi all,

First, let me tell you what I'm trying to do.  Anybody who has a better
way, please let me know.

I just compiled x11amp which claims not to work without the OSS drivers.
I downloaded those without trouble but the INSTALL file says that OSS
can't be installed if there's another sound driver present.  I did a cat
on /dev/sndstat and found the following:

highlander# cat /dev/sndstat
VoxWare Sound Driver:3.0-beta-950506 (Sun Feb 5 14:38:12 EST 1995
freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com)
Config options: ffffffff

Installed drivers:
Type 2: SoundBlaster
Type 6: SoundBlaster16
Type 25: AWE32 Synth
Type 7: SB16 MIDI

OSS's INSTALL says that Voxware will be compiled into my kernel but my
kernel config file doesn't have anything that resembles the string
"VoxWare" in it.  Yes, I've tried different case combinations.

I can't find a Voxware reference in The Complete FreeBSD and a search on
www.freebsd.org only turns up binaries that require the driver.

I tried to install OSS overtop of VoxWare.
The installer dumped it's core and told me not to try that again.
So, can anybody tell me how I can get rid of it in favour of OSS?

Thanks,
Chris