Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 1996 12:15:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Khetan Gajjar <khetan@iafrica.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: netscape gold

On Thu, 6 Jun 1996, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> <<On Thu, 6 Jun 1996 10:30:40 -0500 (EST), John Fieber
> <jfieber@indiana.edu> said:
>
> > If you want an HTML editor for X that generates valid HTML, then you
> > DON'T want Netscape Gold.
>
> I've had very good results with psgml in Emacs... Just feed it the
> right DTD and everything works perfectly.

Yes, for those care about html, emacs + psgml is definately the
way to go.  Rumor has it that XEmacs 19.14 will ship with psgml
as standard equipment.  Being a true SGML editor, you can easily
leverage SGML features that are missing from HTML, in particular
the use of entities to save typing and for managing boilerplate
text, like headers and footers.  I write stuff taking full
advantage of SGML, then pass it through sgmlnorm (part of James
Clark's sp packages, look for it in the ports collection soon) to
expand the entity references and normalize shorttags (eg:
<tt/foo/) and omitted tags to keep all those dumb web browsers
happy.

> Whatever made you think Netscape cared about obeying standards?

Nothing in particular.  I'm not so sure how much longer they will
be around though.  Bill over in Redmond WA is hell bent on making
MSIE the standard and at the rate he is going, I'm glad I don't
own netscape stock...

-john

== http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================