Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 2014 08:43:15 +0100
From:      Jan Bramkamp <crest@rlwinm.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SuperMicro IPMI/SOL and ipmitool troubles

On 11.11.2014 18:30, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> I'm trying to set up sol console for supermicro servers, reading some documents
> including TestClusterOne, mainly:
>
>> For serial redirection to work, in the BIOS you need to redirect to com port
>> B and in /boot/device.hints you need hint.uart.1.flags="0x10" and enable getty on
>> cuau1
>
> I can see BIOS screen ok; boot1/2 and boot/loader work fine also.  However, I
> could not see kernel console output via SOL, neither getty on ttyu1 works.
> I tried different speeds, std vs 3wire, explicitely set console=comconsole
> vidconsole -- no luck.
>
> I even trued to use `ipmitool sol activate' on one side and `tip -115200 com2'
> on the other -- stiil no data between.
>
> Any hints?

Here is my configuration for SuperMicro boards:

# loader.conf
console="comconsole vidconsole"
comconsole_speed="115200"
comconsole_port="0x2F8"
boot_multicons="YES"

# /etc/ttys
ttyu1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.115200" vt100   on  secure

Depending on your Board the IPMI SoL is either COM2 oder COM3 by
default. My config snippets assume COM2 (0x2F8). If you board still has
two physical COM ports the IPMI SoL moves to COM3 (0x3E8) and ttyu2.