Date:      Mon, 05 Jul 2010 17:56:56 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Barbara <barbara.xxx1975@libero.it>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org, marcus@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: R: Re: R: Re: ports/148272: polkit-gnome-authen core dumps when starting gnome

> Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 01:59:57 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Barbara <barbara.xxx1975@libero.it>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org

> in
> in
> >> ~/.

> >> As I've said in another post, I have that file.
> >> Anyway I think I've found a "solution" for that:
> >> $ gconftool-2 --type=bool --set /apps/gnome_settings_daemon/gtk-
> >> modules/gnomebreakpad false
> >> This is obviously a single-user setting, so that should be done for every
> user
> >> logging in with GDM.
> >> Unfortunately, this doesn't solve the other problem when running startx.
> >
> >Do you use any Linux GTK+ apps?
>
> No, AFAIK. On startup?
>
> >This warning could be coming from one of those that can't find a Linux ABI
> > version of breakpad.  In any event, I don't think it's fatal.
>
> I thought it was caused by polkit-gnome-auth... as reported in the backtrace,
> wasn't it?
> Anyway, no, it's not fatal. I've found it's dumping cores accidentally.
>

> >I have been trying to reproduce all of these problems locally, and thus
> >far I have not seen any of them.  I have two test machines both are
> >i386.  One machine is running RELENG_8, and the other is -CURRENT.  I
> >have tested an existing account upgraded from GNOME 2.0 as well as a new
> >account.  Neither show any slowness, crashes, or strange errors in
> >.xsession-errors.  I have only tested with GDM thus far.
> >
> >I have just finished updating my amd64 machine, so I will test with that
> >machine as well.  If I cannot reproduce any of these problems, I will
> >have to point people to GNOME's Bugzilla.
> >

> I have not updated my laptop since (about) the last month.
> It's RELENG_8_0, i386, ports.
> I'll made some test on it before and after updating the installed ports to see
> what happens.
> Maybe I'm doing something wrong or I'm not doing something needed (e.g. some
> configurations).

FWIW, I am running STABLE from June 28, so it's pretty up-to-date.

The slow startup is not huge as I don't start Gnome too often...probably
a couple of times a day. It's the other delays when using the panel that
are the BIG annoyance.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)