Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 10:26:26 -0700
From:      "Gregory P. Smith" <greg@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recomended ISA SCSI Cards

> Can anyone recomend any good ISA SCSI cards to use with FreeBSD? -
> Preferably something that'll work with a machine with >16Mb of RAM etc. - I
> have a 1542 but it's been nothing but trouble...
> I'm not too sure I would want to replace an AHA1542 with an AHA1520/22
> though - unless anyone else has any comments?

"good" and "ISA" should not be used in the same paragraph.

Any "good" ISA SCSI card is busmastering.  The ISA bus only has 24
address lines, meaning busmastering ISA cards can only access the
first 16mb of RAM.  Your other option is the port I/O style card such
as the AHA1522.  These require lots of CPU for the transfer but don't
have the 16mb limit.

My ISA recommendation is the 1542, followed by a 1522 if you don't like
the 16mb thing (really, these are your only sane choices).  Most OSes
drivers will work around the 16mb limit (w/ a performance hit) and copy
data in/out of the low 16mb for busmastering ISA.  I don't, however,
know the state of FreeBSD's aha1542 driver; they might not have
implemented that.

Real recommendation: get a PCI motherboard, they're cheap.

Greg