Date:      Sat, 31 Mar 2001 22:38:39 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>, audit@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Call for review... PR 25577

--==_Exmh_1727279998P

If memory serves me right, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <20010330131413I.jkh@osd.bsdi.com>, Jordan Hubbard writes:
> >Cool.  Does this mean that any of the foocontrol programs can go away?
>
> As far as I can see, anything short of firmware updates can be
> done by ifconfig and therefore, presumably, foocontrol can die
> for 802.11-valued foo.

Uhhh...I don't think this is quite true.  I'm not an expert on the an(4)
driver, but ancontrol -S and ancontrol -C give a lot more information
that the new ifconfig, and I'm pretty sure that ancontrol (8) lets you
twiddle things that ifconfig doesn't.  (Antenna diversity and transmit
power spring to mind, also it is not immediately obvious to me how to
set ad-hoc mode using ifconfig(8)).

I think that a *majority* of functionality can be done with ifconfig,
and that someone would only need to use ancontrol if they really wanted
to do something esoteric (or at least unusual).

More comments to come...I'm typing up some feedback based on playing
with the -stable version.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_1727279998P

--==_Exmh_1727279998P--