Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 2004 11:39:39 -0600 (CST)
From:      security@revolutionsp.com
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   5.x system trying to boot /kernel ?

Hey,

After adding KDB, KDB_UNATTENDED and DDB, two of my 5.3-STABLE servers
never came back after a reboot. After talking to the datacenter, they
informed me these servers are trying to boot of /kernel and not
/boot/kernel/kernel ..

What might be causing this behaviour ? /kernel was 4.X and these servers
never knew what 4.X was.

This only happened after adding KDB, KDB_UNATTENDED and DDB to the kernel
config, I had recompiled the kernel before and it never tried to look
/kernel instead of /boot/kernel/kernel

# file /kernel
/kernel: cannot open (/kernel)
# file /boot/kernel/kernel
/boot/kernel/kernel: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1
(FreeBSD), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

I rebuilt a kernel on my FreeBSD home gateway (also 5.3-STABLE) and also
adding GDB, I didn't have this problem.

Is there any loader.conf variable which sets the kernel that should be
booted ?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Hugo