Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 96 10:30:02 MST
From:      Earl Bryner <ebryner@ns.phbtsus.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Video Card Question

I have recently been attempting to install FreeBSD 2.1 from the January 96
release, and have encountered significant trouble configuring X.

I have a PCI bus 100Mhz Pentium with a ATI graphics Expression video card.
The first trouble encountered is that I had to dissable all my serial ports
to keep the boot from messing with the video card.

I am aware that the ATI card uses com4, but attempts to probe any com port causes
the video adapter to display a 'melting snow' pattern and then go blank. ( this
happens @ boot time ).

Once I dissabled all serial ports, it will at least boot, but all attempts to
run startx fail in various forms.

If I try to use the mach64 Xserver, my screen goes blank ( after running startx
and all attempts to abort fail even CTR ALT BSP ).

My question is:  Is there a patch available for the ATI Graphics Expression card?
if so, will it support a very new version of the card? ( I unserstand that ATI
recently changed the chip on the card )

Secondly:  If buying a different video card is the best alternative, what kind
of card would give me the best support running on FreeBSD and WindowsNT?

Any suggestions / comments would be appreciated.