Date:      Thu, 30 Apr 1998 14:36:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Snob Art Genre <benedict@echonyc.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   odd network problem

I'm having a network problem that only manifests between two
FreeBSD-stable machines.  I posted about this on questions, but got no
answer, and I think it might be over the collective questions head
anyway.

I have two machines, float and ben.  Float is dialed up PPP to
interport, ben is on a T1 from Sprint.  I can ping and traceroute either
machine from the other one, but I cannot use TCP-based services.  The
TCP handshake completes, and then the connection hangs.  For example, if
I'm trying to telnet to float from ben, the handshake happens, and then
ben sends the same 27-byte packet for several minutes until it gives up.

Meanwhile, telnet/ftp/ssh all work fine from a Solaris/SPARC box and
from a Linux box, to or from float or ben.

Packet traces available upon request, of course.

 Ben

"You have your mind on computers, it seems."