Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 2015 12:37:00 +0100
From:      Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
To:        Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>, FreeBSD - <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Replacing Drive with SSD

On 28/08/2015 07:59, Doug Hardie wrote:
> I am having to replace a drive with a SSD.  Normally if I were
 > replacing it with another drive, I would hook up the new drive
 > to the computer and just use dd to copy everything (system would
 > be quiescent).  Can I do the same with a SSD or does it need to
 > be setup differently?  This is a boot drive (i.e., the only drive
 > in the system).  The system is currently working fine, but the
 > drive temp is starting to go up so I want to replace it before
 > anything bad happens.

As others have said, SSDs look pretty much like spinning drives. The one
thing to be aware of is TRIM, presuming your SSD supports it. If you're
using zfs, TRIM is automatically enabled (on 10.x, not sure about
earlier releases), but if you use ufs you have to enable it on each file
system with

	tunefs -t enable $device

However, you might want to check why your disk temperature is rising
anyway. Have you checked your fans and any air filters?

--
Those who do not learn from computing history are doomed to
GOTO 1