Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 2010 12:36:24 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@pp.dyndns.biz, nlandys@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UDP packet spoofed LAN source address?

> From owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org  Sun Oct 17 09:04:59 2010
> Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 16:06:12 +0200
> From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Morgan_Wesstr=F6m?=
>  <freebsd-questions@pp.dyndns.biz>
> To: Nerius Landys <nlandys@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: UDP packet spoofed LAN source address?
>
> On 2010-10-17 06:56, Nerius Landys wrote:
> > This is really more of a networking question.
> > I'm wondering, in a typical scenario, for example my server is in a data
> > center with a typical colocation company.
> >
> > I am editing someone else's code, and this code handles incoming UDP
> > packets.  The code handles UDP packets that have a source address being from
> > the LAN differently.  It gives those packets special treatment.  To check
> > whether a source address is a LAN address, it does the typical checks for
> > 10.0.0.0, 172.16.0.0, 192.168.0.0, 127.0.0.0, and it also checks every
> > assinged IP address with netmask to see if the source address on the UDP
> > packet came from that network.
> >
> > My question is - how possible (in these typical environments) is it to send
> > a UDP packet from far away that claims to have a source address being a LAN
> > address?  Will such a packet typically make it to my server, or will a
> > router along the way stop it from arriving?
> >
> > Maybe, is there a simple 10 line C program that I can run and compile to
> > check if this scenario is possible on _my_ server?
> >
> > - Nerius
>
> Section 3 of RFC1918 (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1918.txt) states the
> following, and I quote:
>
> "Routers in networks not using private address space, especially those
> of Internet service providers, are expected to be configured to reject
> (filter out) routing information about private networks."
>
> This makes it _highly_ unlikely that your server will be hit by spoofed
> packets with a source address belonging to any of those private IP
> ranges.

Wrong _WRONG_, *W*R*O*N*G*!!!!

THAT STATEMENT IS ABSOLUTELY INCORRECT.

"routing informatin" works on _destination_ addresses *ONLY*.  The RFC
languate means thhat you cannot -reach- an RFC-1918 *destination* address
over the public internet. because no routing for those DESTINATION addrsses
ic carried in the routing tables.

The rest of your analysis is similarly similarly flawed.

As a matter of 'reality' *NOBODY* providing 'transit' services filters on
source addresses.

'Leaf' networks -- those with 'upstream' connectivity, but no 'downstream'
clients -- are well advised to -themseleves- implement ingress/egress
filtering at their border to block packets with 'inappropriate' _source_
addresses.

This blocking has to be done with considerable care, however.  There are
some types of packets with 'un-routable' source addresses that *are*
absolutely legitimate, and tht you -have- to let through, or you will have
_major_ usability problems.

It is also a GOOD IDEA to filter traffic, in _and_ out, to certain ports
that are 'meaningful' *only* in a LAN environment.