Date:       Fri, 23 Jun 2000 09:39:12 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Pete Fritchman <petef@databits.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lockups

On 2000-Jun-22 11:39:47 -0500, Pete Fritchman <petef@databits.net> wrote:
>>Does the machine completely drop its keyboard too?  You might
>
>Yep - totally locked up. Doesn't respond at all.

If it won't respond to Ctrl-Alt-Esc, I'd be interested to know if it
responds to an NMI (easiest way is to short /IOCHK to GND on the ISA
bus - these are conveniently opposite sides of the end closest to the
back of the case).

You might also like to prune your kernel down to what's actually in
the box.  The output from a boot -v could also help.

>device		eisa

Unless it's got an EISA bus, this is unnecessary.

>device		ata0	at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
>device		ata1	at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15

These are unnecessary if you've for a PCI controller.

>device		atapifd			# ATAPI floppy drives
>device		atapist			# ATAPI tape drives

Do you really have these?

>device		de		# DEC/Intel DC21x4x (``Tulip'')
>device		fxp		# Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B (82557, 82558)
>device		tx		# SMC 9432TX (83c170 ``EPIC'')
>device		vx		# 3Com 3c590, 3c595 (``Vortex'')
>device          ed0     at isa? port 0x280 irq 10 iomem 0xd8000
>device          ex
>device          ep

7 different types of NICs.  What sort of NIC (and how many) do you
actually have?

This is partially self-interest because I have a machine that locks
hard (neither Ctrl-Alt-Esc nor NMI work).  I'm still trying to
determine whether it's a problem with the hardware or the fxp driver.

Peter