Date:      Sat, 16 Feb 2008 00:50:42 +0100
From:      "Danny Pansters" <danny@ricin.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: howto use Konqueror as root while another user ?

On Friday 15 February 2008 05:27:01 Jona Joachim wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 02:04:33 +0100, Danny Pansters wrote:
> > On Thursday 14 February 2008 20:45:43 Piotr wrote:
> >> if I try to start File Manager - Super User Mode, I put the root
> >> password and then I'm getting a lot of the following errors:
> >>
> >> There was an error loading the module Navigation Panel. The diagnostics
> >> is:
> >> file not found
> >>
> >> There was an error loading the module Print Management Tool. The
> >> diagnostics is:
> >> file not found
> >>
> >> There was an error loading the module KSVGPlugin. The diagnostics is:
> >> file not found
> >>
> >> There was an error loading the module Icon View. The diagnostics is:
> >> file not found
> >>
> >> There was an error loading the module KHTML. The diagnostics is:
> >> file not found
> >>
> >> etc.
> >
> > Hmm, it's possible that if you startx (and kde) as root once this stuff
> > will go away. I suggest you try that.
>
> Please don't start X as root. Don't start kde or konqueror as root
> either, not even as a file manager. Use ls(1).
> It's really not reasonable to start more processes than really needed as
> root. It's one of the most basic Unix credos and there are reasons for it.

The primary Unix directive though is to empower the user and let them do
whatever they like, including shooting themselves in the foot :)

Besides, any (X) desktop should be properly firewalled and occasionally
running X or certain X apps as root on it shouldn't be harmful. Though of
course, generally I agree that you shouldn't run X or any X app as root.

In this particular case, it seems that changing permissions on the appropriate
directories (maybe for one special group only and add the user to that group)
would be the proper way to solve this. But that's not what the OP asked.

Cheers,

Dan

Dan