Date:      Thu, 08 Feb 1996 12:20:07 -0600
From:      James Gurkin <jgurkin@fastlane.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Installation Problems

I am trying to load FreeBSD from a DOS partition.

     I copied the dists and floppie directories to the DOS partition, in a
     directory called freebsd.  The partition I am trying to load to is 270
     meg.  The hard drive is IDE.

     I have tried numerous times but always get an error that reads:

     Failed to load the ROOT distribution.  Please correct this problem and
     try again.

     I also tried loading from a boot floppy, but it hangs up.  I have an
     IDE cdrom.

     Any ideas?