Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2018 10:30:53 -0700
From:      Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
To:        Stefan Rumetshofer <sterum77@gmail.com>, freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Testing the linux compatibility with the amdgpu driver and linux-doom3 fails

On 8/16/18 9:46 AM, Stefan Rumetshofer wrote:
> Firts of all i hope this is not the wrong mailing list.
>
> I was trying to run linux-doom3 from the ports collection with my graphics
> hardware but this fails with an error realted to OpenGL or so. Also other
> linux games are failing like Unreal or RTCW. It seems that there is a general
> Problem with the amd Graphics driver and the linux compatibility. I also teted
> the game wit the intel driver on my SandyBridge GPU with no error.
>
> My graphics hardware is an AMD Radeon RX560. OS is a FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE with
> drm-next-kmod and xf86-video-amdgpu. The kernel module is loaded with
> kld_list="amdgpu" in the rc.conf and the X11 driver is loaded with 'Driver
> "amdgpu"' in the Device Section of the xorg.conf. Xorg works fine with this
> configuration.

interesting, have you tried starting Xorg without a configuration in
place?  on my intel systems not having a config in place has Xorg
utilize the modesetting driver, which gives me full hardware
acceleration.  i believe this should also work on amdgpu as well
(although i'm less familiar with that GPU).  you may have to remove the
xf86-video-amdgpu pkg to see if it can load modesetting.

also, with your current config does "glxinfo" show support for the
missing extensions?  interestingly enough I do not see support for
GL_EXT_shared_texture_palette nor GL_NV_register_combiners on my intel
system.  it' been a while since i've done any 3d work so I'm not %100
sure of the criticality of those last two extensions are.

-pete

--
Pete Wright
pete@nomadlogic.org