Date:      Wed, 02 Jan 2002 10:21:27 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Keith Spencer <bsd2000au@yahoo.com.au>
Cc:        fbsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Is this possible on FBSD?

Keith Spencer wrote:
> Hi all,
> Is it possible (in dummies speak for me pleeez) to
> dial in to a FreeBSD 4.4 server via a couple of std
> modems (one on the remote end and one on the server)
> which is also an internet gateway for a lan (ADSL
> connection) and be able to access the lan machines
> (they are 192.168.1.x ips) AND be routed back out
> through the server gateway ADSL for Internet access
> too?
> I guess I am asking a couple of questions here...
> 1)can a dial in machine be given a non-routable IP in
> the same c space as the lan machines.

Yes, but it will be easiest to configure if you subdivide
that C space up - makes routing easier. Generally, when I
do things like this I put each interface on a different
network number.
192.168.1.0/25 for local LAN
192.168.1.128/25 for dial-in
... for example.

> 2)can the server then still use NAT to give gateway
> services to the dial-in computer with the 192...
> address?

Yes.

> If so ...hints would be great eg do I need routed or
> gated or whatever?

If you divide everything up into subnets (like I described
above) it can be done pretty easily with routing statements.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology