Date:      Tue, 09 May 2006 12:38:13 +0100
From:      Florent Thoumie <flz@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RFC: new rc.d/mdconfig{,2} startup scripts

--=-TvUp1pWXDHo3K39FZuUA

Hey fellas,

I'm currently working at extending rc.d/ramdisk{,-own} to support
vnode-backed md(4) devices and I'm wondering if I should :

- add my rc.d/mdconfig{,2} scripts and keep the existing
rc.d/ramdisk{,-own} scripts for backward compatibility (adding a
deprecated note somewhere),
- merge rc.d/ramdisk{,-own} into rc.d/mdconfig{,2} (still adding a note
about ramdisk_* variable deprecation),
- keep the existing names (rc.d/ramdisk{,-own}) and just add my stuff in
them.

I like the first choice better, at some point it will be easier to just
'cvs rm' those files and this prevents adding mess in new scripts.

Also, is there some standard timeout for removing old variables support?

--=20
Florent Thoumie
flz@FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD Committer