Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 2006 13:53:25 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Subject:   The future of set_rcvar

--x+6KMIRAuhnl3hBn

We need to decide what we're doing with set_rcvar.  Doug has been
advocating against it in a number of forums, but no move has been made
to actually deprecate it that I've seen.  I believe we need to speak
with one voice on this issue and have one style that is both documented
for ports and used in the base.  I can see three main options:

- Use set_rcvar unless there is a good reason not to (generally the very
  few historical scripts).  This is the default in the base and was the
  status quo in ports for a while.
- Always manually set $rcvar, deprecating set_rcvar with a loud warning
  and removing in in 7 or 8.
- The same as above, but default $rcvar to ${name}_enable requiring that
  scripts that don't use have an rcvar value explicitly unset it.

I slightly prefer the first or third option because I don't like the
idea of the default style encouraging inconsistent naming which I
believe forcing rcvar to be set manually by default does.  My only
strong opinion on the subject is that we must make up out minds and act
consistently instead of continuing the current split between ports
documentation and the base.

-- Brooks

--=20

--x+6KMIRAuhnl3hBn