Date:      Fri, 20 Jan 95 22:32:44 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        julian@tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: More serial console stuff...

[ ... ]

> I haven't actually looked, but the one that may fail is the case of hd(1,a)
> when a SCSI disk is co-configured with an IDE disk.
> in this case it needs to pass a 1 to the bios to boot, but a 0 to the
> kernel (it's sd0 after all isn't it).
> If that still works, then sure.. make the change..

How can the SCSI disk be accessed, unless it has installed its bios, in
which case the IDE disk BIOS is not active?

The one scenario I can see this failing is on a boot to a device that
DOS thinks is device 0 but BSD thinks is device 1 because it probes
both controllers regardless of which BIOS is active.

This is actually the opposite of the case you made.

THis setup would require the user to explicitly go into the SCSI setup
and tell it whether or not to hook the INT 13 vectors on POST.  For
an Adaptec controller, this is equivalent to explicitly enabling and
disabling the SCSI BIOS between boots.

If this is the case, I thoght that it had been taken care of already
by causing the SCSI controller to probe prior to the WD controller?

One might also see it happening when you have multiple SCSI, one without
BIOS -- say a normal controller and a sound card.

Which do you mean?

Seems like a probe order problem.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu