Date:      Wed, 27 Jul 2011 18:21:56 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
Subject:   Re: Printr?

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 12:53:49AM +0200, Roland Smith wrote:
> Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 00:53:49 +0200
> From: Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
> Subject: Re: Printr?
> To: Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
>
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 01:16:48PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
>
> >  this 3040cn is seriously low-end,
>
> Avoid that low-end crap like the plague. Those are usually depend on the
> driver to do all the processing work and chances of finding a FreeBSD driver
> are essentially nonexistant.
>
> Preferably get a printer that understands PostScript. If not then at least PCL
> or ESC2P. Look at the OpenPrinting.org database for a printer that works
> "perfectly".

	thanks much for the datapoint!  If I knew of a org site that
	has all the fax  ["just the fax, ma'am"] i would be pleased
	beyond words.

> If you cannot afford a new one, look for a second-hand "professional"
> printer. They are usually better quality. First or second generation color
> laser printers will be quite bulky but they shouldn't be too expensive.

	IIRC, my first HP (1992-3) mono was $450; it llastd until
	'05 when I decidd on a laser.  the ink was/is xtreme.
	the HL-5250DN was aound the same cost but only lasted six
	years.  hope my new printer lasts at least 6 years.

	i found variants of the hp2025FOO.  There is the 2025dn,
	the 2025x, and the 2025n.   UNtil Robert mentioned it , i
	never thought of googling for an individual printer.  there
	are a billion of them.  bt i found it.  and the ONLY
	difference i can see is __One__.  the cheap one is the "n";
	you have to by-hand set it to do duplex.    the "dn" and the
	"x" have "automatic" duplex handling.   interesting what
	just a litte hunting can tell you.  Yeah, postscript, pcl 5
	and 6.

	gary

--
 Gary Kline  kline@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix