Date:      Tue, 12 May 2009 12:36:55 -0500
From:      Andrew Gould <andrewlylegould@gmail.com>
To:        Ese Oronsaye <eoronsaye@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing Unix

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Ese Oronsaye <eoronsaye@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
> I am a newbie to Unix with no experience in installing unix operating
> system. Have been through Download Freebsd but not quite sure what I should
> download.
> What is ISO and Distribution not quite sure which I should download.
> Can anyone help me with this.
> Regards
> Ese

The ISO file is an image that is ready for burning to a CD or DVD.  The file
you should download depends upon the kind of hardware your running.  Please
describe the hardware you are using.

I strongly advise you to read the installation section of the online
handbook before attemtping to install the operating system.  The most arcane
part for newbies is probably partitioning the hard drive.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

It would also be good if you have either a friend who runs FreeBSD nearby or
a second computer with internet access running.  That way you can get help
quickly.  The installation isn't really difficult; but if you're a newbie,
you might have questions or start second-guessing your choices.

Best of luck,

Andrew