Date:      Tue, 1 Jan 2002 01:34:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Wade Ashwin <neroz@dingoblue.net.au>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/33440: Ports can not resume an interrupted download

>Number:         33440
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       Ports can not resume an interrupted download
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
# uname -a
FreeBSD bsd 4.5-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 4.5-PRERELEASE #0: Sun Dec 30 14:59:33 EST 2001     root@bsd:/usr/src/sys/compile/OPTIM-2  i386

      If you are in the middle of a download with ports, and you ^C, ports will not attempt to resume the file because it thinks the half-downloaded file in distfiles is complete, but it is not. Ports only checks the MD5 sum, but resuming could be implemented by letting ports have an idea of how large any given file should be. Simply making fetch download to a temporary directory could work as well, so ports doesn't think the file is complete by looking at distfiles. This is a fairly annoying problem since a lot of people are still running on dialup links, and when you're in the middle of a 80meg download you don't want to start from scratch :-).
Also, I do realise that it can be done manually, but that doesn't solve the problem with ports.
>How-To-Repeat:
      Start a download with ports, then ^C before the download is finished. Then do make fetch again, and ports will show no output since it thinks the download is complete.