Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 2002 12:43:31 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        nate@root.org, des@ofug.org, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "MB" instead of "K bytes" in memory probe?

At 12:20 AM -0800 10/30/02, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>Warner Losh wrote:
>:But you are right.  We should use MB for anything under about 2G
>:or so (but even 4G vs 4096M isn't that bad).
>
>     Keep in mind that Des's change is still printing the total number
>     of bytes, in bytes.  The MB is in parenthesis.
>
>=>  Oct 29 15:55:18 dsa kernel: real memory  = 266493952 (254 MB)
>
>     There is no need to do anything fancy inside the parenthesis.
>     It should just be in megabytes (as DES presented).  If the
>     machine has so little memory that '1 MB' or '2 MB' meaningless,
>     then the user can still read the actual number of bytes.  I
>     would certainly find the MB number useful no matter how little
>     memory the computer has.

I think you read Warner's request backwards.  He was saying to use
MB for anything *under* 2gig, and presumably switch to gigabytes
at that point.  He was talking about machines with lots and lots
of memory, not "little memory".  That is an idea I like too, but
I'd do it somewhere closer to 8196 Meg.  Actually I tend to do
it at "10,000 somethings", switching to "10 (somethings*1K)".