Date:      Wed, 28 Dec 2005 08:07:59 +0200
From:      unkn <unkn@unkn.homeunix.org>
To:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hp nx6125 again

I have the same notebook, I have the same problems,here's what I
found, it may help you

> I posted a while back about getting a thermal trip whenever I take the
> machine off ac.  Zone 3 jumps from ~30C to 150C in 5-10 seconds.  I
> received no responses except me-too-style ones.  I just started looking
> again and noticed that this only happens when the machine boots with ac
> plugged in, _then_ you move to battery.  If you boot on battery there is
> no trip.  Also, Linux (Suse 10.0) works fine.  No thermal trip.

I do a sysctl hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest=C2 before I put the machine off ac,
it _seems_ to help

> In fact on suse I see other thermal zones with signicantly lower temps
> (e.g. tz0 is typically <40C while freebsd amd64 current as of today is
>
>  >50C).  And this is with freebsd running on the console (i.e. no X
>
> server) while suse is running X.  The only significant difference I can
> think of is that freebsd is running the ndis emulator for the broadcom
> wireless part which appears to have some overhead--but removing it from
> the system doesn't seem to change the temp.

I don't have ndis loaded, but I have the same temperatures.

> The last issue is that like some other folks the system will lockup if I
> let powerd bring the clock down when idle.  Lockups are easily
> reproducable but don't appear to be related to any particular state
> (e.g. I saw a lockup in the lowest frequency and also at one above
> lowest--though perhaps it was really switching to the lowest frequency
> and locked up before the printf made it to the console).

Add hint.acpi_throttle.0.disabled="1" to /boot/loader.conf, it worked for me.
On FreeBSD current, there's no need to, as far as I can tell.

> Any suggestions on how to diagnose any of these problems would be
> appreciated.  I'm most concerned about running too hot and locking up
> the system.  Without resolving these things it's kinda hard to run freebsd.
>
> 	Sam

I hope this helps you.