Date:      Wed, 18 Dec 1996 15:25:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      brian@mediacity.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD beats SCO at its own game

[SEMI LONG]

Long ago I posted to this list asking about the likelyhood of running the
dataflex accouting system available for SCO under SCO emulation
via FreeBSD.

Many thought it would work.

I got the dataflex SCO version installed it and it tended to core dump.

The company I worked for became impatient and went out and bought a
whole SCO system.

Well, guess what? the same software core dumped in the same places
on the SCO system.

But it was too late. Things proceeded on the SCO system.

Some months later, as the company was commited to the accounting system,
a new feature of the dataflex software was PANICing/crashing
(just unexpectedly rebooted) the system during the run of an important
feature.

I eventually determined the problem was indeed an SCO operating
system bug, which of course, there is nothing we could do about it.

So, I suggested we again try running under FreeBSD via SCO emulation.
Since at their time there was no other solution.

Well, we had some initial config problems, but now it is up and
running great.  The OS bug in SCO does not manifest itself in the
FreeBSD SCO emulation, and the staff are all wondering around
the company declaring how much faster the accouting system is
under FreeBSD (regularly people report 5 to 10 times faster).
(same hardware)

So kudo's to the FreeBSD developers.

--
Brian Litzinger					       Powered by FreeBSD
<brian@mediacity.com>                            http[s]://www.mpress.com