Date:      Mon, 01 Nov 1999 19:08:18 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Hibernation & Phoenix Notebios???

Hi,

     Does hibernation/save-to-disk work for anyone with a laptop with a
Phoenix "NoteBIOS" BIOS?  I've got an old HP OmniBook 3000, and I can't
get hibernation/suspend-to-disk working with FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE,
3.3-RELEASE, or -current of Aug. 21 (yes, I should upgrade, but I can't,
yet).  Plain suspend works, but not hibernation/suspend-to-disk.
Basically, upon resuming, FreeBSD appears to restart correctly (I can
type at the keyboard), but FreeBSD tends to do one of the following as
soon as the hard disk is accessed:

* Panic (e.g., "freeing free inode").

* Hard disk errors (e.g., "wd0s2a: hard error writing fsbn 3735616 of
  3733516-3735631 ...").  When this happens, I often have a trashed
  filesystem (manual fsck is required), and, when this happens, the FS
  is often trashed beyond help (plain files, like /bin/vi, are
  corrupted, and it's easiest to just reinstall FreeBSD).

* Mysterious "bad magic" errors and the like (e.g., running "/bin/sync"
  gives something like "can't exec: bad magic", and the system
  eventually crashes with the aforementioned hard disk errors).

It almost appears as if memory has been corrupted (e.g., not all of
memory has been restored).  I've tried all sorts of things (e.g.,
``OPTIONS "VM86"'', setting MAXMEM lower, various kernel apm0 flag
settings, etc.), but nothing helps or gives a hint as to what's going
on.  Hibernation under Win98SE appears to work fine.  ;-(

     At this point, I think I've got a buggy BIOS.  Looking around, I've
noticed an old Linux posting that mentions that some buggy BIOSes don't
reinitialize the IDE controller after a suspend, with the result that
the multiple sector read settings aren't preserved.  This could
conceivably cause my problems.  For details, see:

	http://www.deja.com/=dnc/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=414363036

     Some Linux users seem to have hibernation working with this laptop
(see http://xenu.phys.uit.no/~tom/OmniBook3000CTX.html), and so it
should be possible to get FreeBSD working with it.  However, after
spending the past few days bashing my head with this problem, I'm
thinking about giving up and getting a new laptop (which would be a
pity, as FreeBSD/X11 works nicely, otherwise).

     Comments?

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@sr.hp.com