Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 17:03:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        franks@ns.arizona.edu
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IDE CD-ROM &

Please check your Netscape configuration -- it has an invalid email
address configured.

> I have the FBSD2.0.5 CDrom from walnut creek.  Version 2.0.5 doesnt
> support IDE cd-roms.  Is there a patch/makefile/etc. availible for that
> support, or will I need to install a later version, such as 2.2?  I am
> also having touble installing later versions over ftp, since the
> installer looks for both root.flp and boot.flp and the new versions seem
> to only have root.flp on the ftp server!?

You will need to install a newer version of FreeBSD.  I think 2.1.0 and
later had ATAPI support; I suggest 2.1.6 or 2.2-BETA if you feel
adventurous.

All newer versions do not have root.flp, we killed that beast in 2.1.5,
thankfully :)

You will want to use the boot.flp that comes with the version you are
installing.  Using older installers on new systems is asking for trouble.
You'll want to use the 'upgrade' procedure, unless you don't particularly
care for your system and don't mind rebuilding it.