Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:20:02 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Alessandro de Manzano <demanzano@playstos.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Max memory + swap

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 09:49:02AM +0200, Alessandro de Manzano wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm deploying a new server with FreeBSD 4.10-Release and I'll need a
> quite big piece of memory.
> I was thinking of installing 1 Gb of RAM plus another Gigabytes of
> swap.
> I seems to remember some limit / problem when RAM + swap go over 2 or
> 4 Gbytes total, is this true ?
> (without PAE or similar things, it's a "normal" P4 machine)

There have been problems when *physical* RAM is above 2GB (and on a P4
without PAE enabled it is not possible to go above 4GB) but 1GB RAM + a
few GB swap should not be any problem.

> I would avoid to tweak kernel parameters, if possible, like KVA pages
> and similar things I don't know ;)

Then don't go above 2GB RAM.  To make that work I think you need to do
exactly what ypu want to avoid.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson