Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 16:47:58 +0100
From:      =?iso-8859-2?Q?Ivan_Debn=E1r?= <debnar@o-c.sk>
To:        <janb@cs.utep.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>, <sos@freebsd.dk>
Subject:   RE: ATA RAID - sysinstall solution

I have the same problem on 4, and I have a response from Soren:

--- start ---
Ugh, booting from the HPT RAID is not supported as is. This is due
to the HPT using sector #9 for the RAID config stuff, this is not
compatible with our bootcode/loader as in some circumstances it
would happily overwrite this config info, trashing the RAID in
the process. Therefore the code uses an offset of 10 into the
physical disks.
However if you always use an fdisk partition table, and newer uses
the first 10 sectors on the disk, you could make the offset 0
in the driver, and have booting work that way, or buy a promise :)
I'm not sure I've used the rigth thing as default here, but at
least this was POLA seen with my dangerously dedicated eyes...

This is bad, but I hope we will help Soren to sort thing out on how to get
to do it.

We will keep in touch.

Ivan