Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 17:33:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        "A. Ling" <aling@alum.mit.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to identify "remarked" chips? (was: Strange reboot saga)

> recognizing this problem, though I did find other references to re-marked cpu
> chips.  Do they just have paper labels pasted on top, or do you mean something
> else?

	It's hard to really know sometimes... Some of the remarked chips
are very good. One of the common tricks was to alter the writing on the
top. Luckily the ink used tended to wipe off with rubbing alcohol. Simple
lables pasted on top is a possiblity, usually you only find those with
the less reputable dealers. You may want to do a web search, I've seen a
site with some really good info on this but can't seem to find it in my
bookmarks right now. :)

						Rick