Date:      Mon, 03 Mar 2003 01:53:06 +0000
From:      Rui Lopes <rui@ruilopes.com>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        "Mezz bsdforums.org" <reigncracks@hotmail.com>, FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: GNOME Fifth Toe 2.1.99]

Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

>>>Hey, I have a question. Which do you prefer to follow the list? This
>>>email or over at http://5toe.lyrical.net ? Because, over at website
>>>has more list than in this email.
>>>
>>>I think, I am going to take Regexxer, it looks useful tool. So, is
>>>anyone working on Regexxer yet?
>>>

>>I've allready have a port for it (and I did talk about it some time
>>ago), but there is one little problem that I didn't found a "neat"
>>solution..
>>

>Sorry, I've been busy, and some things tend to slip through the cracks.
>

>>What I've done,
>>
>>- I've talked with pcre por maintainer and we now have a utf8 option in
>>pcre port (this option is not enabled by default).
>>

>I saw that.
>

>>- I've created a pcre-utf8 child-port, but this leads to a problem, if
>>the user has the pcre port installed they need to manually remove it
>>before installing this child-port, I didnt found a neat solution for
>>this.. (this is my little problem).
>>

>You need to create a slave port that enables the UTF-8 support in PCRE,
>then depend on that port instead.  It would be nice if there could be
>one unique file to discern the two installations.

I've done this; but there is no file to discern the two installations,
for this I need to create a dummy file, and this is ugly, also there
will be problems when user decides to update a port that depends on
normal pcre, since portupgrade will build (when we force a recusive
reinstall) the normal pcre so this will not work.. :(

>>Right now the utf8 feature of pcre lib seems to be in a experimental
>>state, so having a pcre sharedlib might bring some issues to ports that
>>depend on the normal pcre, nevertheless, I'm almost sure that this will
>>work just fine. (at least it's working fine here)
>>

>You might not like this, but check what I did for gnet-glib2.  I wanted
>to go the slave port route, but ports that depended on regular gnet
>wouldn't like the glib2 version.  Therefore, I had to do a repo copy,
>and basically hack the port to install files in a new location.

You are right, I don't like that one! :(

>>If anyone has a better solution for my little problem, tell me about it!
>>

>There's also one other alternative.  You can do something similar to
>what is done for Evolution/db3.  That is, build pcre-utf8 as part of
>regexxer, and link it in statically.  This is a mess, too, but if
>regexxer is the only port that will consume pcre-utf8, then it will save
>users some trouble with potential conflicts.

Yes, this was it! I will use this approach. I will now send-pr regexxer
port.

BTW, ports system seems to have another "feature",

MASTER_SITE_SUBDIR=     ${PORTNAME} \
                        ${PCRE_NAME}/:pcre

If we dont add a trailing / in that second line, the fetch stage will
fail to append the port DISTFILES file name (the contents of PCRE_NAME
var), and will not download the file, it will eventually download it
from freebsd ftp. I can try to fix this, but right now I'm running out
of time :(

Cheers,
-- Rui Lopes