Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 2006 05:42:03 +0400
From:      Dmitry Marakasov <amdmi3@mail.ru>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   USE_DOS2UNIX=yes and binary file corruption

I've just encountered this problem in my own port, and after fixing it I
decided to do some research to be sure nobody made the same mistake as I
did. The result are following:

- 10 ports use DOS2UNIX=yes
- 6 of them have binary files corrupted
games/cleanq3
games/kiki
net/hawknl
net/hawknl-devel
print/fpdf
x11-toolkits/v
- 2 of these 6 install these corrupted files
print/fpdf
games/kiki

For the last two ports (one of which is mine) I've sent PR's.

Other ports don't install corrupted files, but I think there's still
problem - if one wants to get a file from a package (or look through
documentation/samples, which are not always installed) - it's likely
he'll run into currupt file, and such behaviour of ports collection
surely is not expected.

So either USE_DOS2UNIX should be used with care, or ports/92688 should
be fully merged - that seem a good solution.

--
Best regards,
 Dmitry                          mailto:amdmi3@mail.ru