Date:      25 Feb 2002 21:25:18 -0000
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@Palimpsest.it.hq.nasa.gov>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports/35320: linux-jdk-1.4 JVM fails when running Tomcat4 app

>Number:         35320
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       linux-jdk-1.4 JVM fails when running Tomcat4 app
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD Palimpsest.it.hq.nasa.gov 4.5-STABLE FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE #7: Mon Feb 4 13:14:17 EST 2002 cshenton@Palimpsest.it.hq.nasa.gov:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/Palimpsest i386

I'm developing a webapp in Turbine, running on Tomcat4, that
works fine in FreeBSD-native JDK-1.3.1_6.  If I switch to
linux-jdk1.4, the JVM generates an error in the Tomcat logs as
below. The error is the same if I repeat the cause, even if I try as
myself or as root.

  Unexpected Signal : 11 occurred at PC=0x2A225C8C
  Function=[Unknown.]
  Library=(N/A)

  NOTE: We are unable to locate the function name symbol for the error
	just occurred. Please refer to release documentation for possible
	reason and solutions.

  Current Java thread:

  Dynamic libraries:
  Can not get information for pid = 93093

  Local Time = Mon Feb 25 16:01:48 2002
  Elapsed Time = 21
  #
  # HotSpot Virtual Machine Error : 11
  # Error ID : 4F530E43505002D3
  # Please report this error at
  # http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi
  #
  # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (1.4.0-b92 mixed mode)
  #
  # An error report file has been saved as hs_err_pid93093.log.
  # Please refer to the file for further information.

>How-To-Repeat:

I stopped Tomcat4, which was running with a JAVA_HOME of
/usr/local/jdk1.3.1, changed JAVA_HOME to be
/usr/local/linux-jdk1.4.0, then started with the usual script:

  cshenton@Palimpsest(334> export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/linux-jdk1.4.0
  cshenton@Palimpsest(335> /usr/local/tdk/bin/catalina.sh start

The server starts up, as seen in the /usr/local/tdk/logs/catalina.out:

  Guessing CATALINA_HOME from catalina.sh to /usr/local/tdk/bin/..
  Setting CATALINA_HOME to /usr/local/tdk/bin/..
  Using CLASSPATH: /usr/local/tdk/bin/../bin/bootstrap.jar:/usr/local/linux-jdk1.4.0/lib/tools.jar
  Using CATALINA_HOME: /usr/local/tdk/bin/..
  cshenton@Palimpsest(336>

I can get the standard "your server is running" pages at

  http://palimpsest.it.hq.nasa.gov:8080/

and a view of the top of the webapp tree at

  http://palimpsest.it.hq.nasa.gov:8080/sna/

but if I try to actually run the servlet it fails.  It does this
whether I try and run a stand-alone servlet:

  http://palimpsest.it.hq.nasa.gov:8080/sna/servlet/gov.nasa.hq.sna.intranetbroker.Proxy

or the webapp we've built on top of Turbine using the Turbine
Development Kit (tdk):

  http://palimpsest.it.hq.nasa.gov:8080/sna/servlet/Turbine/

It does this whether I run Tomcat via catalina.sh as myself, or as
root.  (Another user on freebsd-java or freebsd-ports said he couldn't
run something unless he started jdk14 as root).

This same app -- both the standalone part and the Turbine webapp --
run fine under JDK-1.4 on Linux-i386 and Solaris-sparc.

(JDK-1.4 has a new "URL" class I need because it understands "https",
 where the JDK-1.3 does not.)

The config for the JVM, if I understand this, lives in
/usr/local/linux-jdk1.4.0/jre/lib/i386/jvm.cfg and looks like:

  -client KNOWN
  -server KNOWN
  -hotspot ALIASED_TO -client
  -classic WARN
  -native ERROR
  -green ERROR

Only "client" and "server" dirs exist with libjvm.so, the

  client/:  -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  5003433 Jan 30 11:06 libjvm.so
  server/:  -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  7409621 Jan 30 11:06 libjvm.so

I did try "server" a couple days ago with the same result.

>Fix:

Unknown. Sorry. :-(