Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2001 16:13:37 -0600
From:      Christopher Davis <chris2d@cs.unm.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   /kernel arp attempts to modify permanent entry for

Hello,
	I've just moved and was setting my FBSD server back up and have
encountered some problems.  I switched my method of connection to DSL, set
up the configuration files in /etc, and things look ok except:
I can't make any outbound connections
I get a /kernel arp message every minute or so.

I can connect to the machine, just not from the machine to anywhere. Here
is the error message I am getting:
/kernel: arp: 00:02:fd:20:39:f7 attempts to modify permanent entry for
207.188.146.64 on xl0

The MAC address listed is my DSL router's address, as is the IP.

I tried the following:
hq# arp -S 207.188.146.64 00:02:fd:20:39:f7
207.188.146.64 (207.188.146.64) deleted
set: can only proxy for 207.188.146.64

Is this a problem with my FBSD set up or my modem? I've got a Cisco 678
running in routed PPP.  Any suggestions are appreciated.  If there is any
further info you need I can/will supply it.
	Thanks!
	Chris