Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 22:24:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kevin Street <street@iname.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        jm7996@devrycols.edu, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /kernel.config

Doug White writes:
>On 19 Sep 1998, Kevin Street wrote:
>
>> "James A. Mutter" <jmutter@devrycols.edu> writes:
>
>> > I've got a PnP sound card that is _not_ automatically recognized by the
>> > kernel.  After installing a new kernel I have to manually reenter the
>> > parameters for the card.  I could have sworn that I saw somewhere that the
>> > /kernel.config file could 'do this for me' - so to speak.
>> >

>> I believe you also need to have the right options in your kernel:
>> options		USERCONFIG		#boot -c editor
>> options		USERCONFIG_BOOT		#imply -c and parse info area
>> options		VISUAL_USERCONFIG	#visual boot -c editor
>>
>> I think it's the USERCONFIG_BOOT that makes it read kernel.config
>
>No, USERCONFIG_BOOT pops up the screen that asks you if you want to
>configure the kernel, like it does on the boot floppy.

Well, I don't get that screen on my machine unless I use -c at boot
time.  Until I added USERCONFIG_BOOT (I already had the other two)  it
ignored my kernel.config, but with the option it configs my sound card
automatically and carries on booting.

I'm on -current if that makes a difference.

--
Kevin Street
street@iName.com